Starting July 20, the Marion Public Library will open for limited services by appointment.
We are excited to welcome the community back into the building but will still be focused on the safety of the public and our staff. Therefore, patrons will be able to come into the building for 1-hour time slots by appointment only. Each guest over the age of 2 is required to have their own appointment. Individuals must be at least 16 years old to book an appointment. Individuals under 16 years old must be accompanied by a caregiver. Appointments can be made by using the link below or calling the library at 319-377-3412.
Use of the library by appointment should be focused on tasks that can only be accomplished through access to library resources such as computer & internet usage, printing, quick browsing for materials, DOT kiosk, etc. Casual use of the library such as finding a quiet place to read or a good spot to accomplish work in a public place is not allowed during your allotted time in the library.
All people over the age of 2 will be required to sanitize hands and wear masks per CDC guidelines. The library will provide a mask to anyone who does not have one for their appointment.
Please do not come into the library if you or a member of your household are feeling ill or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last 2 weeks.
All toys & games as well as lounge seating have been removed. Use of the study rooms, conference rooms or community room is not permitted. We are not taking notary appointments at this time.
Holds pickups will still be available. Please call the library at 319-377-3412 to arrange a time for pick up before visiting the library.
To ensure a safe and enjoyable visit, please read and follow the guidelines below:
If you are feeling sick or experiencing flu-like symptoms, please stay home.
- Anyone displaying COVID-19 or flu-like symptoms, such as a persistent cough, will not be permitted in the library.
- If someone in your household is showing symptoms of COVID-19, please stay home.
- If you have traveled outside the United States, please self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days before visiting the library.
Before your next visit
If your request or question can be answered via phone or email, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-377-3412 (then press 1) for assistance rather than visiting the library in person.
- Confirm that our location is open and what services are available.
- Click here to make an appointment. You can book 1 appointment per person per day, up to 1 week in advance.
- Plan to keep your visit to a maximum of 60 minutes to allow others a chance to use the library.
- Try searching the online catalog before your visit to see what is available. Make a list of the books you might like to borrow. Remember to note the shelf number/call number so you can find your books more easily.
- Make sure you have everything you need with you:
- Your MPL/MLN library card (and your child’s library card, if applicable)
- Any library materials you wish to return (we currently accept returns in our book drops ONLY)
- A bag for your books
When you arrive at the library
- When you arrive, please follow signs posted at the main entrance and inside the library.
- Library users are asked to limit their time in the building. Please plan for your visit to be no longer than 60 minutes.
- Check in with library staff at the entrance closest to our parking lot. At this point, if you do not have a mask, face shield, or other covering, the library will provide you with one. Masks are to be used at all times during your appointment.
- Once you have put on your mask and entered the building, clean your hands at the hand sanitizing station at the entrance.
- To accommodate new safety measures, things may look a little different than you remember. New signage is in place to help you navigate. Simply follow the instructions. If you are unsure, ask staff for help.
- Physical distancing of 6 ft. or more is required at all times inside and outside the Library.
- Wash your hands. Public restrooms are open and disinfected regularly. Hand sanitizer can be found at the entrance.
- To return library materials, place your items in the designated book return slots.
- Please continue to use our Holds Pickup Window service to pick up your hold(s). A staff member will retrieve your items(s). There is no self-service holds pickup option at this time.
- Parents and caregivers with children are asked to remain with their children at all times.
- We will accept cash payments for printing and other fees in exact amounts only. No change will be given.
When you are ready to leave
- Make sure you’ve checked out all your materials.
- Please feel free to clean your hands with hand sanitizer as you leave.
- Exit through the 11th St. doors.
- Have a great day!
Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. - noon