Did you know your library card gives you access to free music downloads, video streaming, ebooks, audiobooks and study resources for ALL AGES right from the comfort of your home? Here are some highlights for young children and elementary-age kids:
Need a new book right now? Looking for a way to incorporate reading into screen time? On a long road trip and want a fun distraction?
- Tumblebooks: Access over 1000 children’s ebooks, available with your library card number through our website or by downloading the app. Selections include unique talking picture books, read-along chapter books, national geographic videos, non-fiction books, playlists, as well as books in Spanish and French. (http://bit.ly/MPL-Tumblebooks)
- Overdrive and CloudLibrary: Thousands of free ebooks and audiobooks, including many popular children’s titles that can be downloaded through our online catalog with no worries about late fees. You will need to have the Overdrive and/or CloudLibrary apps installed on your device. All you need is your library card and pin number. When you search our catalog for your favorite children’s titles like Dork Diaries or Harry Potter look along the left hand side and narrow by eBook or eAudiobook. (https://www.marionpubliclibrary.org/ebooks)
Want free music downloads?
- Freegal: Search three million DRM-free songs at the Freegal Music Catalog that you can download and keep. Choose from current chart-topping hits and check out the variety of kid-friendly options from Rockabye Baby! To Kidz Bop. Log in with your library card number and PIN. (http://bit.ly/MPL-Freegal)
Finished a great book and wanted to find more just like it? Looking for a “just right” book for your child?
- NoveList Plus: Find read-alikes with professionally suggested titles that are ‘just like’ other titles. There are also read-alikes for authors and series. NoveList Plus contains lists of recommended reads and award-winning books. It covers both fiction and nonfiction titles for all ages from the youngest readers to adults. It also has extra content like reviews (professional and reader reviews), book discussion guides, curriculum guides, and more. Book groups and teachers find these resources especially helpful. This database helps younger readers achieve reading success. Parents, teachers, and students can search by age, reading level, grade, and more. (http://bit.ly/MPL-Novelist)
Need some extra academic help?
- Learning Express: Practice, lessons, and study aids to help kids do their best in school. Includes video tutorials and practice tests for K-12 and beyond. (http://tinyurl.com/MPL-LearningExpress)
- Kanopy: Stream more than 30,000 of the world’s best films, including award-winning documentaries, rare and hard-to-find titles, film festival favorites, indie and classic films, instructional films and K-12 lessons, and collections including The Great Courses, PBS and lots of tutorials and independent and world films. (https://marion.kanopystreaming.com)
A little of everything:
- Hoopla: Hoopla is a digital media service that allows library cardholders to borrow comic books, movies, music, audiobooks, eBooks and TV shows to enjoy directly on a computer, tablet, smart phone, or TV via Roku, Fire TV, or Apple TV. (https://www.hoopladigital.com/)
Check out the eLibrary section of our website (http://www.marionpubliclibrary.org/elibrary) for even more options. As always, your friendly Marion Public Library Information or Children’s Desk Staff is here to help with any questions.
--Olivia Stoner, Children's Services Coordinator